Thursday, February 22, 2007

Things that make you go hmmmm

"Everybody in politics lies, but they (the Clintons) do it with such ease, it's troubling. Not since the Vietnam War has there been this level of disappointment in the behavior of America throughout the world, and I don't think another incredibly polarizing figure, no matter how smart she is and no matter how ambitious she is -- and God knows, is there anybody more ambitious than Hillary Clinton? -- can bring the country together."

That's the direct quote from Geffen that kicked-off the Hillary/Obama fight.

I read it and re-read it a couple of times because part of the comment really just didn't sit well with me. "..God knows, is there anybody more ambitious than Hillary Clinton?" You mean like Barack Obama, or John Edwards, or Rudy Guilliani, or John McCain... or anybody else running for President? Isn't that just about as ambitious as you can get: running for President of the world's most influential nation? So why is Hillary different from all those other, obviously and equally, ambitious politicians?

Could it be that she's a woman? Does anyone else sense that what Geffen is really saying here, or what he's not saying, is that her ambitions outstretch the limitations of her gender? I honestly can't think what else he could mean. Regardless of whether you like or dislike her, she's equally as qualified as the others in the race.

It's sad that, after all that has been accomplished in the fight for gender equality, things like this are still an issue. Honestly, I'm not usually one to be sensitive to these things - despite being very independent, I'm not a raging feminist. I do think there are differences in the strengths (intellectual and physical) of men and women and I think we should accept them and stop trying to shore-up our weaknesses in an attempt to reach 100% "equality" (I like my men with some testosterone and a electric drill in their hand and I'm not throwing my bra or make-up away anytime soon). HOWEVER, I see absolutely NO REASON why I woman can't make a fantastic President. Women have been ruling other nations for decades and proved that for sure.

So why then is Hillary Clinton so much more ambitious than her fellow Presidential contenders, and why then are there signs like this popping up in our communities...?



Where, I can't help asking, is the sign that says: BUSH SPECIAL "One small, gutless weiner, bent to the right?" Of course there isn't one because men are not objectified in the same way that strong, ambitious women are. Even just putting the two words "woman" and "ambitious" together conjures up a whole bunch of negative adjectives (even for me, who I consider to be both) - bitch, aggressive, stubborn, unfeeling, calculating (add your own). Meanwhile, say "ambitious man" and those adjectives turn suddenly positive.

It's sexist, it's still around and it's why Hillary will not be the next President of the United States.

1 comment:

caw said...

Sadly I also doubt that Hills won't be the next President, which is a crying shame. Further all that claptrap re "is there anybody more ambitious that Hillary Clinton". Seriously, WTF?

IMHO, politicians the world over are generally self-aggrandising liars - but gee whiz. Occasionally there is a bright shining beacon among them who stands out as being in politics for all the right reasons. I don't know if Hillary is such a light. Or Obama. Or McCain. Or anyone else in the race, but for christ's sake, the take on her level of ambition is nonsensical bullshit.

Related Posts with Thumbnails