Monday, April 02, 2007

Lunchtime Musings

Aaarrgghhhh.... what is that crawling on my arm? A ladybird (sorry, 'bug' for Americans).

(pauses to flick it away)

Okay... sorry, slight interruption there. I just returned from the picnic area where I was eating lunch and aparently I brought a little friend with me.

So, lunchtime musings. I'll start with an email my hubbie sent to me, which was so fabulous I had to share:


In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated that if we drink 1 liter of water each day, at the end of the year we would have absorbed more than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli (E. coli) bacteria found in feces. In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of Poop. However, we do not run that risk when drinking wine (or rum, whiskey, beer or other liquor) because alcohol has to go through a purification process of boiling, filtering and/or fermenting. Remember: Water = Poop / Wine = Health. Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of crap.
Hehe... where's my bottle of wine? I knew there was a reason water makes me gag.

Secondly, as I said in a previous post, I'm currently reading a book about an Australian lass who falls in love with a French man and goes to live in Paris with him. The book is called Almost French and it's by Sarah Turnbull. I'm only a few chapters in and already I'm hooked. The reason for mentioning it today is a line from the book that struck a chord with me....

In her pre-Paris life travels, the writer visits a remote town in Greece and, upon arrival, is amazed to find children running around with koalas, kangaroos and "I love Australia" on their t-shirts, the local bar displaying an Australian flag. When she asks a local what on earth is going on, he explains that much of the community emigrated to Oz after the 2nd World War and that over the years some family members have returned, confused about which place - Greece or Australia - to cal home. So, now I quote....


"Now in his fifites, with every passing year the pull of his village among the vines grows stronger. His life is a constant dilemma: in Australia he feels Greek; in Greece he feels Australian. 'It's a bittersweet thing, knowing two cultures...[and] a curse to love two countries.' The man smiles wryly at his own melodramatic words. But there is sadness in his eyes."
I could not have said it better myself.

1 comment:

Jules said...

I loved Almost French! And, we can certainly relate to that dilemma, can't we??

Related Posts with Thumbnails