Monday, April 23, 2007

The Gerli Life calls BULLSHIT!

I think the reason why I post my random thoughts on this here blog-thing, is just so I can get fabulous tirades of "wake-up-and-smell-the-coffee-you-self-obsessed-female" from friends and family.

Sometimes, even though you suspect that you are perhaps being a little self-critical and melodramatic, you need to hear it from someone else.

As always, my 'someone else' was my friend from "The Gerli Life", Elena.


Ok, that is such bullshit, I can't even stand it. Oh, the sacrifice and drama of it all, the I must grow up now and give up this dream nonsense. Have you lost your mind entirely???Don't let these ridiculous people with their sad, pathetic stories of self-sacrifice talk you out of being a writer. Being a writer, or an artist, or what have you, is something you define, not some crackpot living in a hovel w/ unpaid bills and a collapsing ceiling. Please stop reading these magazines. It's like saying that to be a successful actor you have to be a starving artist for X number of years, have no friends or family, blah blah blah. Everyone has their own path. Some people strike up a conversation in a bar and 2 months later are in a blockbuster movie and they're off and running. Some others do the struggling, self-sacrifing bit all their lives to get nowhere. Ditto with writing. Yes, you do have to put in the time, because stuff doesn't write itself, but I think having to sacrifice your friends, family, job, sanity, fun, travelling, dog, personal hygiene, health insurance, Xmas and New Year's - well, that's just nuts. Obsessive people can do what they want, you do it your way and please stop with the nonsense. I will not let you, in good conscience, give up on this writing thing of yours, it's too much fun and too important for you. And I will not allow you to turn it into suffering and then end up not doing it because you don't like suffering. Don't even argue with me about this,
I will not. And that's all I have to say about that.

Isn't she fabulous?! Of course, she's abs0lutely right. There is absolutely no need to forego personal hygeine to prove myself a true creative-type. Anyway, I couldn't give up lathering myself with all that yummy smelling stuff from Bath & Body Works.

I also have to give props to my no-nonsense Dad who, even though he expressed this through my Mum, read my blog once and ended up wondering why I'm always so busy self-analyzing myself all the time. I don't think he intends to read it again, but in case he does... don't worry Dad!

It's kind of funny, because I don't view my posts that way. They're often just random streams of consciousness, things I think about, consider, wonder about... I can see how they could come across this way (as self-doubting), however, without context or the frame-of-reference of spending actual, physical time with me. Ask my husband, he'll tell you any day that I'm probably one of the most self-certain people he knows (feel free to chime-in here dear for moral support).

Don't worry folks. I'm not becoming a basketcase who spends most of my time on a psych's couch. I don't spend all my time doubting myself, I just have thoughts about different stuff and I care to share it.

I love it that you all call "bullshit" 0n my agonized thoughts.

I agree. Total bullshit.

(And sorry for all the swearing Mum; it's written not said. Does that get me a pass?)

2 comments:

e said...

[sheepishly] tee hee, says Elena, officially Michelle's least tactful friend.

But oh I do love her!

Unknown said...

Michelle, I don't even know you and I won't let you use someone else's excuses not to write. It's your life, it's your vision, your words as only you can express life. I promise you, you WILL regret NOT having taken on writing, but you'll never regret giving it your best.

On a side note, don't you wish blogs could be published with different versions of the same blog? Like what's done with movies in theater vs. TV vs. airlines? The original version for friends, then the same blog only with the "V" chip for parents and little folks. Just a thought.

Related Posts with Thumbnails