Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I am a woman of ACTION!


Wow, my waist is small!

Spurred on by my moment of political activism, I acted upon another goal I set for myself in an earlier post.

No, I didn't get a boob job and head to the local store for a wonderwoman costume (and after seeing the above picture I don't think I'll be doing so any time soon either).

What I did do was sign-up for a writing class.

I'm starting off with baby steps. No big commitment that is going to make me feel like, to paraphrase my friend Elena, I have to give up Christmas, New Year, and personal hygiene. It's a one-time, weeknight class appropriately titled "How To Stop Thinking You Can Write & Write!". In short, a class that attempts to get your literary ambitions out of your head and onto paper. It's not until July, so I can be done with honeymoon and Mum's visit... no excuses for not going!

There are other classes too, similarly non-commital. Classes on things like the art of a good plot, developing great characters, and even one on Travel Writing. So, I can build myself up slowly. I just know that if I enroll in some multi-week, online course, that requires me to log-on every night and do "homework" and meet "deadlines" (the mere thought induces a panic attack) then I would puss-out. Maybe that's down the road but right now I wanted to set a goal I knew I could achieve.

I have some ideas for some things I would like to write about. Travel articles is obviously one of them, however I have what I think is a unique and interesting idea for a non-fiction book, and some fledgeling concepts for fictional stories - short or long I don't know yet.

Inch by inch...

1 comment:

e said...

YAY!! Good on ya!

And glad to hear that you'll not be giving up washing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails