Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Just a small thing

This is something I have been wanting to rant about for some time. I have exactly 20 minutes before I turn from Sales VP into mummy and so I'm going to take five of them to go off.

WHAT IS UP WITH LOCAL NEWS CHANNELS SPENDING AIRTIME READING OFF THEIR FACEBOOK COMMENTS?

I get that pretty much every media outlet these days is trying figure out how to synergize it's content across a broad spectrum of media but, the way I see it, you have to find a way that does this that ADDS value to your customer.

It irks me no end when I turn on the morning news only to be greeted by some B-market anchor-person, stumbling over reading the usually ineloquent, mostly unintelligible, and even occasionally irrelevant FB page comments from presumably half-drunk or lobotomized viewers.

IF I WANTED TO READ THE COMMENTS ONLINE, I WOULD BE ONLINE! No, but I am sitting on my couch, watching you on TV and it is not adding anything to my experience to watch you squinting to read something off your Dell laptop - something that I could read for myself, in my own time if I wanted to - when you are instead supposed to be delivering me real content.

Incidentally, as an extension of this, I am detesting the whole "Viewer's Voice" trend on news programs these days. If I wanted the uninformed opinion of the average Joe on the issues of the day, I would ask my friends who are, on average, significantly more intelligent than the 15-minutes-of-fame-hungry folks who have time to comment on a local news Facebook page at 6am. The whole point of watching a news program is to get news and informed opinion from experts or professionals or whatever. I expect to be educated by watching. It's not a town-hall forum, folks, it's the news. You know, where they report... news. And I've got news for you. Your opinion is not news to me.

Yes, a little feisty this afternoon. In my defense, my time is over-committed, I'm stretched too thin, and have been stalked all day by a freaky woman who is trying to get a job with our company. 13 phone calls, folks... 13! Nobody likes a desperate job seeker.

2 comments:

e said...

Wow. Maybe she'll get her FB comment read on TV, asking you for a job. I agree. I don't give a shit what viewers think.

Urban Koda said...

Always nice when you find out that it's not just you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails