Monday, January 14, 2008

The Parent Petition

No, it's not a petition by or against my parents. In fact quite the opposite - it's a petition for them. Today I filed an I-130 with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to apply for my parents to move to the U.S.

Well, I say I filed it with them, I mean I put it in the mail. What with the 6-month backlog they're claiming to have, it may be June before it actually becomes a "file". Then, of course, there's the beaurocratic paper-shuffle, where they're bound to lose something I already sent to them, thus requiring me to re-send it, then taking them 3-months to acknowledge the receipt thereof.

In short, we're at "Step One" of a long process. The Gerli Life just finalized the same process with her parents and it took a little over 3 years. Although her parent's circumstances were a little more complex than mine (being as her parents have lived in like 4 countries and my parents haven't even made it around 4 counties), I'm estimating at least 2 years before our dreams become reality.

I'll keep you informed as we navigate the red-tape at the newly-formed DHS...

2 comments:

Mala said...

Yay!

e said...

Be patient, and keep on truckin', it'll happen. Imagine if they were from Iran or some such country!

Related Posts with Thumbnails