Sunday, March 04, 2007

Defining "trollop"

Thanks to my friend, Julianne, who is currently living in Oz and who recently posted a comment to my previous post, there has been much interest in the word "trollop".

So, here for those of you who are curious, is a definition:


In England (particularly where I grew up and where this word, I think, originated), this could also be substituted for such 'tasteful 'words as "tart" and "slag". I'm pretty sure that Oz has adopted these words too, since Australian English has a lot more in common with English (as in the English that comes from... ENGLAND!) than American English (which really isn't English at all, is it). In fact, when I met up with Julianne's Australian friend, who lives here in Sac, I was filled with a sense of instant cameraderie the moment she said "trolley". For those of you who spell colour without the u, this is the correct word for shopping cart.

Excellent! Now we all know how to scream obscenities at our fellow x chromosomes in the language of our forefathers. One more giant leap for woman-kind.


CAW said...

LOL! my convertible is so small that it was nearly run over by a trolley today in SF. that is, a trolley car. which i thought was called a TRAM. or a train. or something. anything else except a trolley car. what's with that?!

ah, the ubiquitous shopping cart will always be a trolley ... and it is really only complete when it has a dicky wheel which wobbles annoyingly while one attempts to fill it full of stuff (hence, one of the many reasons why i'd rather juggle 56 baskets).

Chester The Bear said...

It as Mark Twain who once wrote "The Americans and British are two peoples separated by a common language."

My friends think I'm joking when I tell them I speak fluent American.

Related Posts with Thumbnails