Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Something new

Recently I have had to admit that my workout "routine" (or lack thereof) is no longer working for me.

Getting up at 4:15 in the morning and driving myself the 10 minutes to the gym where I stare longingly at all the machines I can no longer use for fear of throwing something or other out and being incapacitated for days or weeks on end, is nothing but pure torture. There used to be a day, before hip and back injuries and prior to being exhausted mummy to an active toddler, that the gym was my "place"; my mental space for working stuff out and my place where I felt physically strong and in control.

Yeah, well, like I said, things have changed.

Not just circumstantially but in a lot of other ways too. For instance, my definition of strong has definitely evolved into being more about balance and resilience and support rather than muscle tone and the numbers on a weight stack. Also, I was given a series of exercises I can do pretty much anywhere from my physical therapist and trainer last year - no fancy equipment necessary. And, finally, since I've never been one for the whole group routine thing (it kills me that 90% of the overly amped-up teachers teach improper form and provide little instruction for their students who are yanking their backs around) I decided that the era of gym membership is, at least for now, over.

So, this morning I got up at 5am (a 45 minute sleep-in), put on my sneakers and walked outside to this.
IMAG0124

Cold and foggy but also beautiful and serenely quiet. I soon woke up and the mental space that the deserted streets gave me was wonderful, although I did have NPR's Morning Edition playing through some ear phones.

I did my warm-ups, walked and jogged for 20 minutes, and then came inside and did some floor-work while my coffee brewed in the kitchen.

Right next to my office is my spare room where my Total Gym awaits for 15 minutes of strength training at some point in my day.

So, who needs a gym? I've canceled my membership, am saving $550 a year, and I feel great about it.

Woohoo to a new era of RantyPantsy-fitness!

4 comments:

e said...

I think that's great. I do yoga and I go for walks/hikes, and then do some other bits at home, and the gym is an occasional visit, like if it's pouring with rain. My membership is $99/year so I keep it. If it were more, I'd cancel it, too. There is something really invigorating about exercising outside. What a great plan, I love it. When I come visit, we'll go walking together.

And I love the shot!

Mala said...

I think its AWESOME! Good for you.

kim {the non-mom blogger} said...

Good for you!

joy4love said...

Hmmm...I do need my sleep so, but I think I'm debating about that earlier work out more now. Evenings are just plain hectic and doesn't work as well. We'll see but I do love how you described the morning...

Related Posts with Thumbnails