Saturday, May 17, 2008

Pow Wow

This morning my sister-in-law and I took my niece, Adah, to her very first parade.

Adah is 19 months old and just the perfect age to begin experiencing the wonders of "special events", of which I am a big fan (now that there is enough of a distance between me and my special event organizing days.)

Pow Wow Days is an Orangevale Tradition for more than 50 years, beginning as a chuck-wagon parade back in the 50s. Since this is our first year living in the area, this was my first Pow Wow Parade too and had no idea what to expect. So we sat in a shady, grassy, spot (thank Heaven, it's in the 90s at 10am here) and watched the short community parade full of little-leaguers, clowns on lawnmowers, and cheerleaders head down a 5 mile stretch of a major street in the area. The Parade is then is followed by a 2 days carnival in the community park but we were too pooped and put-off by the heat to put ourselves through that.

It was so much fun to watch Adah watching the parade and the parade itself was just cheesy and slow-mo enough not to send her into sensory overload. The floats threw out candy at the kids as they passed and, after some coaxing (made easier by the taste of a Tootsie Roll) Adah was all about heading out into the road with the big kids to grab as many candies as her little hands could carry. By the end of the parade her booty was quite impressive and she bore all the markings of a 19 month-old having a good time - a scraped knee, a stained white t-shirt, and a mouth rimmed by chocolate dribble.

After my sister-in-law and I got our caffeine fix and cooled-off at Starbucks, Adah then head rapidly into a post-sugar crash. Time for a nap!

So much fun!

DSCN2782
Adah and her proud Aunty hunt for free candy.

DSCN2776
How much candy can a 19 month old carry in one hand? We sure found out!

DSCN2760
Adah, making sure she doesn't miss a thing.

DSCN2791
... and now we're heading for the meltdown...

1 comment:

Mala said...

Adah looks like she had a blast. I love the last picture. I just got back home from our performance and we all have blisters on our feet. A post to come very soon.
Btw, is that the bag I got you from India?

Related Posts with Thumbnails