Friday, October 05, 2007

The way to be accountable

Did you see Marion Jones' statement this afternoon after she admitted lying to Federal officials about taking performance enhancing drugs?

It's rare to see/hear someone in the public eye show such genuine remorse, humility, and accountability. I have to say that, while I'm not impressed with her cheating, I was very impressed with her statement which seamed genuine and put to shame many people in the public eye who could do with just one iota of her courage.

See what you think: http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/05/jones.doping/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

2 comments:

Chester The Bear said...

I find the whole thing rather disingenuous.

She fessed up and came over all remorseful AFTER she got caught. They're all sorry after they get caught, and mostly, they're sorry they got caught.

When an athlete does the teary "I'm sorry... I let down my fans and my country" thing before anyone even has a sniff of suspicion, that's when I'll take notice.

MACMD said...

Chester, I'm not wholly in disagreement. However, this is more than most athletes (celebs, politicians etc..) in a similar situation have bothered to do.

Related Posts with Thumbnails