Tuesday, May 15, 2007

An ode to the hubbie

(Quite "the dish" isn't he?)

Last Friday, May 11th, was our 6-month anniversary. To celebrate, Hubbie took me out to dinner at a lovely restaurant downtown called The Waterboy.

We had a wonderful meal, chowing on fancy fish-sticks, divine scalloped potatoes, heavenly chicken/lamb sausages, and a mouthwatering carmely, appley, buttery, warm desert served a la mode.

On the way home in the car, he presented me with a card and a bottle of a new perfume I had planned to put on my Christmas list. We had been walking around "Ulta" together one weekend when the bright colors of the bottle caught my eye and I stopped to spray a sample on my wrists. I was instantly in love with the tropical fruit aromas; very summer. Hubbie remembered this and went back to purchase it for me. I was so touched that he had thought to take note.

So, because I don't say these things nearly often or publicly enough, I wanted to tell you a few things about why my Hubbie is so wonderful (in no particular order):

  • He remembers the little things I point out in stores and makes sure they appear under the Christmas tree or wrapped up with care on my birthday
  • He gets mad for me when someone doesn't treat me right, or when I've had a frustrating day. He's a great listener and a great sympathizer; you never feel like he's humoring you, even after you've repeated the same thing for the tenth time
  • When I'm in one of my inexplicably bad moods for no reason, he leaves me alone and doesn't hold it against me later when I equally inexplicably decide to talk to him again. He makes it easy to say sorry for being a bitch.
  • He makes the bed most days now that I am working from home, so I don't have to stare through the office door and out into our bedroom at an unmade bed
  • He gets up in the morning and makes fresh coffee so that when I come home from the gym I have a fresh pot waiting for me
  • He pumps gas for me when we're out together in my car
  • He endures my English music and even makes himself sing along at my silly candy-pop tunes
  • He loves to barbecue and, if I don't step in, will make the whole meal including side dishes
  • He always gives me some of his fries, or basically a mouthful of whatever he is eating. He lets me pick Pepperoni off his beloved Round Table pizza
  • He debates the state of the world and our political beliefs with me. He doesn't like Bush either.
  • He asks if he can go out without me, even though he knows he doesn't have to. He's genuinely concerned that I'll be home alone and bored without him.
  • He loves his family and would do anything for them
  • He really cares about his clients
  • He's honest and has the highest integrity of almost any other person I've met
  • He's prepared to learn to love traveling abroad just because it matters so much to me, yet he's okay with me wanting to flit-off without him from time-to-time
  • He likes and is great with powertools. He can put up shelves and mend things. This makes me very happy.
  • He makes the BEST martinis and mixed drinks. He loves (or at least appears to love) playing bartender and grillmaster on weekend evenings in the summer. These are some of our best times together.
  • He cleans up the dogs poo from our back yard and takes the trash out without complaint (most days). We have a lot of poo and a lot of trash, so this is no small feat
  • When he sees me he has this wonderful smile that makes me feel like I've just come home

This list is by no means exhuastive, but I ran out of time.

HAPPY 6-MONTH ANNIVERSARY BABY! It's been a great 6-months already.

5 comments:

e said...

This is from Willow, who signed it Willster the antiromantic:

Since I am unable to post on the "Random Rants of a British Expat" page (does not accept non-google account peeps and I don't want yet another account) - I shall post here...In regard to the ode to the hubby post - I am a TOTAL cynic when it comes to relationships...I basically think that 95% of people get married for financial security, societal expectation and/or out of an intense fear of being alone - all of which I think are silly reasons for making a lifetime committment. Every now and then I get very bummed out because I start to think it's not 95%-it's 100%...but then I see something like your post and it reassures me that there ARE in fact people who get married because he/she LOVES his/her partner and that particular individual IS IN FACT his/her lifelong campanion. Thank you for giving me a little hope for the world...sounds like an overexaggeration but it isn't. Please continue the ode at least every 6 months for the rest of your lives. That way, you'll never take your relationship for granted or forget all the wonderful things you see in your husband...and I can live vicariously :)

e said...

This is from me:

I am moved by who you both are. I really get how much you love each other, and that it's all the details. Love is acceptance, just they way we are, and just the way we aren't.

Thanks, Joss, for loving Michelle the way you do. She's worth it.

MACMD said...

To Willow,

Firstly, your friend Elena lobbied on your behalf to get me to allow all peeps to post here. I have done so. If I get some random freaks writing stuff on my blog, however, I reserve the right to revoke this at any time.

Secondly, you must be hanging around the wrong crowd or are just unlucky in general. I am fortunate enough to have many friends and family around me who are deeply in love with their spouses and who have wonderful, loving, caring, and giving relationships. I am constantly amazed and enriched by having these people in my life.

PErhaps you should move to Sacramento?

Unknown said...

This is from Dee and let me be the first freak to post here: I wish I could say it better than Elena, but I can't. What a loving tribute to your Hubbie and the extraordinary relationship you have! After parting from an 8 year relationship with an ex-Brit, I was prepared to live the rest of my life alone unless I could learn to stop picking men who weren't right for me. I wasn't closed to a committed relationship but I recognized I had lots to learn first. After 7 years on my own, in a moment of naive generosity, I stumbled upon the man (no, he's not homeless) with whom I'll spend the rest of my life and to whom I look forward to writing my own ode after 6 months of marriage. Thank you for the inspiration!

joy4love said...

The "Dish" does make great Martini's....and he's very caring. As long as he doesn't interrupt me during my prayer time, we're cool.

Joss you know I'm just teasing, right? Don't feel bad, I do this to everyone haha....

Related Posts with Thumbnails