Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The gaping hole

I just realized that I have not posted one single detail about a very big event that is fast-approaching.

OUR HONEYMOON!

Ok, so it's 6-months after the wedding and I'm not usually a sucker for delayed gratification but it's better late than never. Honestly, life just got in the way these past six months, what with Christmas and New Year, a new job, and my boss being on maternity leave.

We had originally planned to spend three hectic weeks touring Italy from groin to toe, however we took a look at where we're at in our life right now (financially, professionally)and realized that now just wasn't the time to jet-off for three weeks.

I know, I know, there's never a good time, but this really is a rain-check rather than a cancellation. It wasn't an excuse, there are just other things more important to us right now. (Really, more important than travel - who ever knew such a thing existed!?)

So, instead of three weeks being romanced by Rome, Florence, and Venice, we're off to the tropical paradise of Belize for 8 days.

We'll be staying at Hamanasi Dive & Adventure Resort in a treehouse for two. (This isn't a very good photo but I'll bring back better).


We'll also be exploring a Jaguar Reserve (pray I see no snakes, for Joss' sake), get lost in the jungle at some Mayan Ruins, cruise down the river in a kayak, and go snorkeling along the northern hemisphere's second largest barrier reef (ditto the prayers for snakes when it comes to fish. Yes, really, I'm hoping to see fish FROM A DISTANCE only. Those slippery little suckers touch one hair on my body and I'm outta the water.)

We leave Saturday morning at 6:30am on a plane from Sac to Houston. We then jump on another plane from Houston to Belize City and then another plane (a 14 seater puddle-jumper) from Belize City down the coast to a small town called Dangriga. Then from there it's a bumpy 30 minute ride to the village of Hopkins.

My attack plan for this vacation is to mingle with the locals. I'm always reading travelogues and am jealous of the fabulous adventures the writers experience while mingling with the local townfolk but then often closet myself away in a nice resort where no such people can reach me (or I them). This time Joss and I purposefully chose a boutique resort close to a small town and where online reviewers talked about hanging out with the wait-staff instead of getting fabulously exotic massages on the beach. So, a little bit of both worlds. Manufactured paradise in the form of a nice, all inclusive resort, but with a little slummin' it for cultural kicks.

I can't wait!

4 comments:

e said...

If you don't keep an accurate blog of your adventures WITH PICTURES, our friendship may have to end. That's all.

MACMD said...

Well, I hope you're ok with me posting post-vacation. I've barred Joss from the one internet spot in the whole hotel at the front desk and I don't intend to break my own rule.

caw said...

can you send smoke signals?

e said...

Mmph. Ok, you can post afterwards, but it better be soon.

Related Posts with Thumbnails