Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Out of control

That is: Daisy's toy collection.

Granted, she's home all day, most days, and so is engaged at one point or another with almost everything she has (and I did purge/donate in January), but it's getting to the point where I'm kind of embarrassed to have people over. Unless they have kids Daisy's age, in which case, they're thrilled to have something to occupy them.

The irony, of course, is that this is supposed to be/was our "adult" room. We have a family room but since the dogs essentially "live" in it (read as furry, smelly den) and we put in hard-wood floor (read as multiple opportunities for toddler head bonks) we have kind of let ourselves live in the living room. Which was totally not my plan. Not at all.

What was my plan?

Something like this...


... but with a bit more color/vibrance. Great for conversation, reading, relaxing, cocktails... you know, ADULT STUFF.

Instead, my living room (and what was formerly a dining room, before I sold the dining room table and all-but gave-up on having an adult dinner  for, oh, say, 10 years) looks like this

IMAG0008

IMAG0010

IMAG0011

Yeah, you can gasp now.

How do YOU manage your kids' things? Do you just not have as much stuff as we do? Obvy, I need tips.

HELLLLLLLLLLP! I am drowning in Fisher Price!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

We are kind of in the same boat. I don't have any advice, just sympathy.

e said...

All my friends' homes with little kids are like this, unless they're outside most of the time. It seems to get slowly better when they start going to school, but it doesn't happen fast. I don't think there's anything wrong with this, she really does play with all her stuff. Heck, I have cat toys everywhere, and they are about 1000 times less maintenance.

MACMD said...

@e - I do have other friends with kids who seem to maintain adult space. Granted, what they seem to have is a one story house with a large kids' room, so the kid can just head down the hallway to play in their room. Not really an option for us most of the time with the two floors. Plus, Daisy's room is pretty small. What drives me nuts is all the little bits and pieces. Argh!

Related Posts with Thumbnails